Pages


Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Value of a Penny

"Find a penny pick it up, then all day you'll have good luck!"
How many of us grew up reciting this cute phrase as we joyfully reached for the shiny, copper coin sitting at our feet? As children, that penny is seen as a small token that later will be dropped into a piggy bank to join the others. While that penny is often seen as worthless in the eyes of our society, some will see it as valuable.

Yesterday, as I was loading up my car to head back to Huntington, I looked down to see a penny. If you've ever been around me when I see a penny, my inner child beams with excitement while I bend over to retrieve the small treasure. But yesterday was different. I wasn't eager to collect my find. It was muddy, I was in a hurry, and face it, it's a penny. My attitude was telling me that in the scheme of life that penny wouldn't be worth much at all.

Despite my circumstance and negative thinking, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. As I reached down for it, something dawned on me. Does God see me as I see this penny? Dirty, worthless, and insignificant? As a hassle to claim?

As I held the penny in my palm, I took a minute to look at it and answer my question. Grace set aside, I am seen as dirty, worthless, and insignificant; but without any hesitation, God picks me up, dusts me off, and places me in His hand, as a treasure He has plans to use.

The story and comparison doesn't end here. I placed the penny in my pocket, still pondering, when while I was taking another load to my car, the penny fell from my pocket directly into the mud beside my tire. The connection hit me again:

No matter how many times I fall from God's hand and direction, He is always so willing to pick me up, show me grace, and set me back on the path of His righteousness. In his eyes I am His daughter, His daughter who He has shown mercy and redemption. His daughter which He has plans to use for His glory. His daughter who has no reason to have worth, but who He finds unexplainable value and love in.

Unlike a human response to the value of a penny, God gives his immeasurable love to His sons and daughters. He rescues us when we are lost and carries us with Him until we reach the finish line as holy and pure. He sees value in our lives and purpose in our steps.

I encourage each of you to trust in Him and allow Him to guide your life. In the scale of His God-sized plans, you may seem small, but we serve a God who is mighty and purposeful; allow Him to clean you up and treasure you for life.


2 comments: