Pages


Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Coal Miner's Daughter

I would like you to take a minute and reflect on what you just read, what has recently happened within our community, and what the state of West Virginia means to you, to other residents, and also what it might mean to outsiders. How has technology helped and hindered us? How are West Virginians perceived?

If only the people who do not live in West Virginia, could just expierence the pride and loyalty us residents have for our state. I could not imagine living anywhere else in the world. There are times when I get so frustrated with the people around me, or feel trapped by the beautiful mountains surrounding my home, but I could not imagine growing up and living anywhere else in this world.
I've pretty much grown up the classic West Virginian girl. My daddy's a coal miner, Thanksgiving break was meant for deer hunting, and going barefoot is an all year 'round tradition. One of the most vivid images from my childhood is my dad coming home late at night or early in the morning covered from head to toe in coal dust. I always wondered why I couldn't hug or touch him and why all his clothes went in a seperate hamper than ours; as I grew older I then realized there were many more consequences to his job than the few I noticed on a daily basis. The smell of muscle relaxer would roam through my house as he'd come home from a long day of being underground. He'd tell me how hard he had to work, how he sometimes wouldn't see the light of day for weeks at a time, and how becoming a coal miner may have been one of the worst decisions he made growing up. Being thrown from mine to mine and working his muscles to the bone were harsh on our family; the long shifts lead to not much time at home, and intense labor lead to many injuries. Through all this, my dad continues to work midnight shifts at a union mine he drives two and a half hours to work at, at 54 years of age. The only days off he takes; hunting season. From the time I got my first gun at 10 years old, I've brought home deer for dinner. Getting up early in the morning is completely worth the thrill of making your dad proud with a kill; especially being a girl. Now, imagine it being the middle of winter and your next door neighbor needs you; are you going to put on your best pair of Jimmy Choo's? No, barefoot it is the best choice. Not that we don't have shoes like some people like to assume, just because we're the most down to earth people you'll meet adn don't feel the pressure that we must dress to impress every second of the day, especially to those who know us best.
You'll learn things in West Virginia that you wouldn't expierence in other states. Where else would a door be held for you if you're more than 5 steps behind? We respect each other and live the small town life. You know you're neighbors, they know you and maybe even your quirks. I love the thought of knowing I could walk down my street and wave at anyone I see; those I know, and those I don't will throw up their hand and a smile. I couldn't imagine it any other way.
Nothing irritates me more than when I hear people from out of state talk down about our loving,caring state. Some like to assume that we all dress in overalls with no teeth, shoes, or a shack to live in. How I would love to give them a great tongue lashing to explain to them why they couldn't be more wrong. We are the most compassionate group of people I have ever witnessed. When anyone is in need of prayer, love, or a friend to talk to; we're here for each other. Lately, especially in our area, we have expierenced many tragedies...

TO BE CONTINUED! :)

1 comment:

  1. I love it Katie. You always do so well at capturing images in words.

    ReplyDelete