Pages


Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Katie's Back, Back, Back, Back Again

Oh here I am, almost a year later. Shame, shame on me. I was sitting on my couch this morning enjoying my day off and thinking about what my future has in store for me. As I sat there, only one thing came to mind that I'd not done...something I get immense joy from: write. My next move was that from my comfy couch to my even comfier bed where my Mac was so preciously laying. Opened my baby up, logged back into my blog, and here I sit with my niece (dog) laying on my legs and me propped up on some awesome pillows, typing away. Life has had major changes in the past year. So many that I could probably write an entire novel on it more so than a blog. But the past is the past, right? From this day on is the future. One that I'm anticipating although I have no idea where it leads. This week I've contemplated so much about my future. I've gone back and forth between staying in my current major, advertising, switching to print journalism, or even as far out of the School of Journalism you can get; dietetics. Currently, I'm still in the limbo state, hoping one morning I'll wake up and God will have constructed a brightly lit neon sign directly above my bed.. practically screaming at me which road to take. Until then, I'll continue to wait it out.
Advertising has been an interesting experience thus far. When in high school I knew I was going to be the girl to pick a major, roll with it, and never change my mind. I must have forgotten I am a female...we ALWAYS change our mind. Three weeks into school I realized psychology was not for me, researched, and came to the point where advertising seemed to be the best decision. That second semester I loved my classes, loved my j-school, loved the fact that I had an internship at an advertising agency for the summer. Everything seemed perfectly in place. That's always when things always begin to fall apart. Fast forward to my second week of summer, the week my internship began. Without going into details, let's just say it was not at all what I expected...therefore my mind began to change; once. again.
I sat one day trying to figure what my passion was. What is it that makes me happy. The first thing that popped into my mind was a freshly baked pizza...yea, can't major in that. Next, was writing. How could I forget how much I loved to read when I was younger, leading to how I used to write short stories in my free time and how I loved to just sit and let my fingers type ninety miles an hour. But could I make a career of it? That's when my awesome self-doubt clicked in. Darn you self-doubt.
From that point, I realized I also had a love for researching healthy eating habits and exercise. Although sometimes I wish I would listen to myself more when I say, "Katie don't eat that." or "Katie, you can add a little more weight to that...the burn means it is working!" I love to fill myself with more and more knowledge on the subject. So I mosied on over to Marshall's website and glanced at the classes I'd have to take. ORGANIC CHEMISTRY?! Really? Okay, maybe this isn't for me. But I'm far from dumb, so I know I could push myself. The best way to describe how many things were going through my head at this point is to visually explain: "a;sjoiwemlksdjfpaoijskldjfvicja;ejoij" Remember how cool it used to be to post that as your MySpace status when the boy you liked was frustrating you? Don't lie, I know you do. Back to the point...I was, and still am, a confused mess.
So here I still sit; my niece is now snoring, her only care in the world is wondering when I'm going to feed her next, and here I am wondering what career I'm going to choose; also realizing I need some major punctuation practice and a review on grammar rules. Anywho, the race is still on for what major is going to capture my heart. I could sit here all day and go back and forth between what to do, but that would be a waste of my time. I've learned "So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today." Matthew 6:34 With that being said, I'll go on about my day only to worry about how I'm going to get this snoozing dog off my lap and make it to the gym on time. As for my potential life-changing decision? Eh, I'll get back to that.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you're posting again, Katie. I also have had, and still have the career struggle. I went from Psychology to Education, back to Psychology. I'd like to do something in the counseling realm, but they aren't accepting any new undergraduate applications at the moment.

    Whatever decision you end up making, I will be proud of you, because you will be great at it. And who says you can't make Creative Writing your major? It's been done. Do some research on it and you'll see that even a degree in that will open you up to a lot of job opportunities.

    Ask yourself "Why?" you want to choose these career paths, your intentions and the like. Myself personally, could never go into an exercise related field as much as I wanted because of past eating issues which would fuel it...

    Anyway, before I start to write a novel, I just wanted to say best of luck with this and that I will support your decision, whatever it may be. God will lead you to the right one. <3

    ReplyDelete